Tips ? Suggestions? Praise? Death Threats?

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Kooky Met Game Last Night

Whenever a team comes back in the bottom half of the last inning, it's something special. Fans chatter about it to one another, co-workers comment the next morning about how great last night's game was, strangers tip their caps to other strangers wearing similar caps.

But when a team can come back to tie the game when they're down to their last strike? Now we're talking.

Before the good though, the bad.

After squandering seven shutout innings from El Duque, Troy Tulowitzki (Tulowitz? Tuliwitznewski? Tulewinkenstein?) laced a ball to right center that should have been caught by Carlos Beltran. I'm going to harp on this for a quick second. Is it just me or did Beltran sort of short arm the ball? I know that Sean Green is closing fast, so Beltran sees him out of the corner of his eye and tries to avoid another career-shortening collision, but shouldn't he put his arms out and reach for that ball? Maybe I'm just a lunatic, which is actually more likely than Beltran short-arming a ball in center.

Aaron Fucking Heilman. I've absolutely had it. You've got to be fucking kidding me with this guy. I honestly cannot understand why any person in their right mind would defend Aaron Fucking Heilman. Here's why: He gave up the homer to Yadier Molina in last year's NLCS, and in three games this year, he's been responsible for game-changing runs. Tonight it was more of the same. He gives up hard hit balls far too often for me to be comfortable with him pitching in anything close to a big situation. He fell into the set-up man role last year since Willie couldn't figure out what to do with him. He's somehow being rewarded for being terrible at his job, which I feel is completely unacceptable.

But Easley's homer with two strikes in the bottom half of the 10th was the real story, at least until Endy Chavez's perfect bunt single to score the winning run in the bottom of the 12th. With Reyes at the plate (Endy came in to pinch run for Dukes), I told my dad to watch for a drag bunt single. Chavez would make me a soothsayer.

Wait, I got it. Tulewitzonoff. Got him.

No comments: