Tips ? Suggestions? Praise? Death Threats?

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Killers: Sam's Town


Strap in kids, it's time for my first record review of our new blog. Instead of reviewing a brand new record I am choosing a record that I recently have not been able to put down. 'Sam's Town' by The Killers is their sophomore follow up to their immensely successful 2004 debut "Hot Fuss". In case you live under a rock or live in North Dakota, "Hot Fuss" ushered in our current wave of synthesizer/dance/pop/new-wavish bands like Panic! At the Disco and Fall Out Boy.

With "Sam's Town", lead singer Brand Flowers, has stated that he was heavily influenced by Bruce Springsteen , U2, and wanted a more over the top arena band sound. While not entirely successful, this album does consist of many operatic Queen-esque moments. Starting with the title track, which ends with an inspiring multi-track chorus, I felt a sense of presence and energy. Their first single, "When You Were Young" is extremely catchy and listen for the high pitched piercing guitar solo. On "For Reasons Unknown", Flowers vocals' are superb and match the rhythm perfectly. "Read My Mind" is a shimmering love song that will be stuck in your head for hours. "Uncle Johnny" tells the story of cocaine addicted uncle but misses the mark with too many vocal effects. On "Bones", the addition of horns mixed with sing-a-long lyrics, makes this standout track. Also, the Tim Burton directed video is excellent. "This River is Wild" is packed with sledgehammer chords that gave me chills even while listening on my iPod. The record ends with the aptly titled "Exitlude" which gracefully concludes with a crescendo of piano and trailing vocals.

"Sam's Town" was released in October but only recently did I find myself hitting repeat. Far from perfect, "Sam's Town" has already been tossed into the "sophomore slump" bin, but this record has grown on me and I hope you give it a second chance too.

Listen and Purchase via Amazon.com

No comments: