Tips ? Suggestions? Praise? Death Threats?

Monday, January 29, 2007

Stop ManBearPig!

My thoughts on what I've been doing since the Eagles lost. And yes I have a lot of time on my hand.....

  • Movies
  • Pan's Labyrinth - Do yourself a favor and go out and see this film! It's truly amazing and unlike anything I've ever seen. Don't be put off by the content or the subtitles.
  • Flags of Our Fathers - Beautifully told story of the men who raised the flag at Iwo Jima during WWII. Director Clint Eastwood also directed a film about the same battle from the Japanese point of view, Letters from Iwo Jima. Flags is a little hard to follow in the beginning because of its non-linear story, but the last half hour clears up any loose ends. Adam Beach is great and the battles on the beach are very exciting.
  • Children of Men - Epic vision of the future with amazing cinematography. Should have received a best picture nomination.
  • The Last King of Scotland - Amazing performance by Forest Whitaker as the brutal Ugandan dictator Idi Amin. The film is told through the point of view of his personal physician. I knew nothing about Idi and left the theatre terrified of him
  • TV
  • 24 - The first four hours of two nights was awesome. However, last week's episode after the nuke went off was weak. Add in the weird revaltion that blue tooth headset guy is Jack's brother, and this show might be on the verge of jumping the shark. I hate to admit it....
  • Heroes - Really excited that this show is back, but its on the same time as 24. There's so many interesting characters and the creator claims on of the main characters dies by the end of the season. I hope it's the bitchy Mohinder Suresh.
  • The Office - this show keeps getting better. I love the secret love affair between Dwight and Angela.
  • Extras - Sometimes I laugh, sometimes I don't. I feel weird watching this show with other people, but this current season has been consistently funny.
  • MUSIC
  • The Shins - Wincing the Night Away - Really good mellow record. There was a lot of pressure and hype surrounding their unexpected success, but I think this record serves them well.
  • Nas - Hip Hop is Dead - Nas comes out with another great album from top to bottom. He plays into this this inferiority complex and you can hear it.
  • Annuals - Be He Me - I read about this young band from North Carolina in Rolling Stone, and I believe the hype. Their songs are filled with numerous layers, instruments, and vocal effects. This album demands your attention but its worth it.
  • Ghostface Killah- More Fish - Follow up to "Fishscale". Not amazing but definitely a solid album considering this is mostly B-Sides.
  • BOOKS/Websites
  • Buzz Bissinger " 3 Nights in August" - Just started this book by the author of "Friday Night Lights". This book focuses on St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa and a three game series with the Cubs in 2003. So far its a good read and I feel like I'm living inside La Russa's head ( that might not be a good thing).
  • Brooklyn Vegan - Excellent indie music blog with tons of updates
  • Curbed - Extensive NYC real estate blog.

No comments: